Hey people, there isn’t anything to report on my own progress on my projects this week since – as I mentioned last week – my main priority was getting mods into my personal modpack for the LAN, and as such I’ll be mainly talking about them in this update. However there is a special announcement relating to King of Shadows, but I’ll get to it a bit later.
On Monday it came as a bit of a shock to me that I had unwittingly deleted my only copy of my modpack’s workspace folder, which basically contained all of the uncompiled mods I had added up to that point.
I was supposed to have a backup of the folder, but what I believe must have happened is that – after finishing testing a mod separately I may have accidentally *cut* and pasted the backup folder into the main folder of the mod compiling program (Sm4shExplorer) rather than *copying* and pasting it like I usually do, and when I wanted to test another mod separately (likely Pom Pom) I deleted that folder thinking I still had the backup.
It was a pretty silly mistake that ended up costing a lot of time since I essentially had to restart the modpack from scratch. This time around I decided to take a more methodical approach in hopes the process would be more efficient: adding skins to the characters based on their alphabetical order in Sm4shExplorer. Another measure I took was to limit the costume count to 16 slots maximum (Bowser being the only exception with 18 slots, you can chalk it up to personal bias since he’s my main haha). It definitely was a far more efficient process and I managed to get through a good half of the cast by the time Friday night rolled around when the Super Smash Bros. competition was scheduled to start.
I said last week that it was planned to be a Doubles bracket but it turned out that the official bracket was made a Singles tournament. Doubles did run although it was an unofficial competition. Due to there only being four teams interested, it ended up being a round-robin format. Me and my team mate both played Little Mac and ended up winning all of our matches (even though we accidentally took each other out a couple of times), it was a lot of fun and we ended up winning a block of chocolate each.
About 10 minutes after the Doubles competition was over the Singles bracket started. I got into grand finals with the same opponent as last time but this time our positions were reversed: I sent him to loser’s bracket in winner’s semi finals so he had to win two sets while I only had to win one set. He managed to throw me off a bit in the first set by switching his character in the middle of it when I had gotten used to playing against his Captain Falcon. He ended up winning the first set with Ness, but in the second set I began to adjust to the different play style and got some good edge guards. After a hard fight, the final set was 3-1 in my favour and I ended up winning a limited edition Gold Mario Amiibo figure. All in all it was a fun competition and I was super stoked to be taking the figure home as my prize.
Now, as for the announcement I mentioned earlier: in April I commissioned an original song to be used in an opening title sequence for King of Shadows, and in presentational/promotional material for things relating to the project, such as gameplay videos, pitches for funding campaigns, etc. I am happy to announce that the song – titled “Illumination” – was completed this week, and when I heard the final product I was left speechless.
The composer (Emiel Schumacher) and songwriter/singer (Cathy Eppinga) were really great to work with, and the money I paid for their service was definitely well-spent, even if it left a fairly sizeable dent in my bank account. The work that went into the song is incredible and I’m very happy with the results of their efforts. You can check some of Cathy’s stuff out on her ArtStation and her YouTube Channel. Emiel doesn’t currently have a website with samples of his work, but the band he’s in (3 Point Landing) is working on their first single. If you’d like to check them out, their website has links to their social media pages.
With that said, it’ll be back to work for me this upcoming week, and I’ll be giving my best efforts to ensure that everything gets done. It has been a learning experience the whole way through this year, and I hope to learn more and more about making these things.
Well, that’s all I have to say for this week. See you all in next week’s update and thanks for following the development of King of Shadows.